Hi friends (and family, too!)
Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and that all is well in your world. It is Mission:Haiti update time! So let me not stall for time here…read on! Here is some of what you can read about in this update:
Updated, spiffy blogsite. (which you just found! :-))
Prayer Cards are coming!
What is a Ministry Overview?
Conversations with Dan Shoemaker of RMI.
Dreaming about the future classroom…
Thanksgiving thoughts.
Prayer Requests/Praises
AND MORE!
So….just read on!
Updated, spiffy blogsite –
I have updated the blogsite, and it is almost like having my own website! It now has more than just the content of the email updates. I am very excited about it, but I’ll let you tell me what you think...
Prayer Cards are coming! (for your fridge, or where you wanna stick ‘em) –
If you want one, I need your address! Thanks to all of you fast responders. If you sent your address, I got it! For all of you new to the updates, if you would like me to send you a Prayer Card, I need your mailing address, and they will be sent in the next couple of months.
Ministry Overview –
I have been writing my Ministry Overview as of late. This is a document that answers the following questions:
Why Haiti?
Why the CLCS (Cite Lumiere Christian School)?
Why World Team?
Why Geri Bass?
Why Now?
I am putting the finishing touches on this document, and I hope to have it soon to share with all of you! I am sure it will answer many questions and clarify any preconceived notions about me teaching in Haiti.
PSG (Personal Support Grid) –
Something else I have been working on is my personal support grid, which details all of the financial goals for Mission:Haiti. It is currently being finalized. Please begin to pray that the finances will be provided in God’s perfect timing. Unless there is a surprise change, I anticipate a monthly need of about $2800, which covers my daily expenses, insurance, and other benefits. (If you are curious to see more of a breakdown, just ask.) I will also be responsible for about $24,000 in one-time costs, which covers many things, from training to relocating and all associated expenses.
Conversations with Dan Shoemaker of RMI –
I recently had the opportunity to chat with a career missionary, Dan Shoemaker of Reciprocal Ministries Int’l, who spent (I think) 20+ years in Haiti. He is a veritable fount of knowledge, and funny to boot! He had much wisdom to offer, and he also was very encouraging as we talked about some of the fine points of the process of moving my entire life to another (third world) country. Dan also strongly advised that I obtain an ATV for my Haitian transportation. I previously planned to purchase a bicycle, but he gave several quality reasons why that was not a practical idea. So, though it added a chunk to my one-time costs, I heeded his advice and added a four-wheeler to my one-time cost list. I know he knows what he is talking about, and I trust his judgment on this one.
Dreaming about the future classroom –
I have been coming up with all sorts of equipment ideas for my future classroom. I hope to be able to make subjects like science interesting and fun, by having them as hands-on as possible. I am investigating the costs of getting a couple microscopes and some magnifying glasses for the school. If you are a teacher (or remember cool things you did in science class), I am taking ideas! (And the ideas can be for any subject area…)
Thanksgiving thoughts –
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. We all have so much to be thankful for! My Thanksgiving included some downtime, since I finally have some much needed time off from work (I actually have FIVE consecutive days off. CRAZY!) I also got some quality family time having dinner with my mom, step-dad, step-sister, niece, and uncle. It was good family time.
I have something special to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I recently found my father on Facebook, and we have been talking. I am probably driving him crazy by peppering him with a thousand questions, but I am enjoying getting to know who he is, who his family is, and ultimately understanding more of who I am and where I come from. It has been really cool. Fun fact: I might have gotten my slight obsession with deviled eggs from my father. He made like two dozen for Thanksgiving.
Churches partnering with Mission:Haiti –
As I begin developing Haiti partnerships, I hope to partner with a few local churches (or at least investigate that possibility). So, if you go to a church other than CrossRoad Church (my home church), I would love to know what church community you are a part of. As I consider different churches to contact, I would love to have members with whom I can partner as I speak with your church leadership. Also, I would love to come and share with your Sunday School class, small group, or other gathering about what God is doing in Haiti, and how you and your group can get involved!
Fundraisers! Everyone’s favorite topic –
Obviously, fundraisers help in raising support to reach a one-time financial goal. Several fundraisers are in the works. So, as those come together, I will get you the details! The FIRST fundraiser supporting Mission:Haiti is for Christmas Photos. Check out the prior post's flyer for more details, but the proceeds from the sitting fee all go toward Mission:Haiti.
Mission:Haiti Accountability Team –
As I am working toward moving to Haiti, there is a LOT that has to be done. World Team, in their great guidance, asked me to put together a team of people who can help share the burden of work, and encourage me along the journey. This small group of folks is a GREAT asset, and they are AWESOME people. Anyway, if at any point you get correspondence about Mission:Haiti, and it is not from me, do not be alarmed. It is one of the team members.
Prayer Requests
Car – My car needs about $1500 in work. So I am trying to determine whether I should invest the money into car repairs when I will not need the car in less than six months. If I am not going to fix it, I need to come up with alternate transportation that is not my mom’s car (which I am currently using). I’m not sure what the best solution is, so please pray for God’s guidance and providence concerning this issue.
Holidays – The holidays are an interesting part of the year for me for so many reasons. Just pray that I keep focus on Jesus and have a good attitude as we go into December.
ACCESS218 CD – (Shameless plug) ACCESS218 is putting out a CD project called “Freedom Songs,” which I was able to be a part of. I am really excited about the message and the mission within it. The CD Release will be on Dec 6. Pray that it will be more than just a concert, that it will be the beginning of something much bigger – world change. And if you are in JAX, you should come! Dec 6, 7pm, Murray Hill Theatre.
Finances – As fundraisers and letter writing, etc. all get going in earnest, please pray that God would begin to bring in the finances for Mission:Haiti. I have been on many mission trips where the money came in at the last minute, and God comes through, always faithful. However, in this situation, especially because of the monthly support dynamic, the last minute scenario can’t successfully work. I am trying to change my mindset so I can work ahead on the things I can, but I ask you to pray for God to work out the things over which I have no control.
PLEASE send me your prayer concerns so that I know how to pray for you!
Praises
Getting back in contact with my father, and finding that my paternal grandmother is still living.
Good, quality time off from work.
A good Thanksgiving holiday.
My helpful and supportive Mission:Haiti team.
Good friends who are patient with me.
And YOU, who are willing to pray for and with me as this dream becomes a reality!
God is SO FAITHFUL, in everything. He just leaves me dumbfounded in so many circumstances. May we each follow him closer each day. When we do, we are in for the most incredible life journey. So fasten that seatbelt, hold onto your hat, and keep your hands and feet inside the vehicle, ‘cause it’s gonna be a wild ride!
Love you all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment