Click the banner above to go to World Team's website!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Update June 2009

Hi friends and family!
Sorry for the lateness of this update. As you know, we went to Haiti at the end of May. Promptly upon our return, I had some interesting challenges to come around. I am just now finally getting into a routine again (because my job situation shifted as soon as we returned) and I am working on a number of things to get them moving forward.

So the Haiti trip was amazing, as many of you have heard. Here are links to my pictures on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2141139&id=25102982&l=e8b61c5607;
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2141476&id=25102982&l=f79ef3a969
The first one is from our time together as a team, and the second is when I was on my own in Les Cayes (and it was more just fun downtime pictures).

Our time together as the team visiting our sister church in the fishing village of Tiburon was very sweet. We have been visiting once a year since 2002, so it is like visiting family each time we go. I was so glad I was there as we were present for the dedication of the new church sanctuary, and the historic moments as our Pastor Gee, and the Haitian Pastor Lundy, stood together, praying together, before the church, and it felt like our churches were one church with two locations (and they are, as we are all the body of Christ!)
We had good times meeting together with the children, young adults, women, and deacons. We also helped as the Haitian church did two outreach meetings during our time there.
Bringing the message to the ladies went okay for me, even though I was very nervous. I had a great translator, Savana Moses, one of the missionary kids. She is fifteen and very intelligent, talented, and just great to be around. She was a great asset to our team, and felt like one of us.
The team all did such a great job in the areas they were responsible for. All of the meetings went so well. There was also good cohesiveness in the team, and we all worked together well. We all got along well, too. Praise God for unity!
I wanted to especially mention the youth meetings, which Derrick Scott (leader of Access218) had with the young adults, and subsequent meetings with just the leadership. Just seeing the hope that was awakened in these young people as a result of these meetings was worth the whole trip to me. I am excited to see what God does as a result of the seeds planted during our days in Haiti.

Near the close of our trip, I split off from the team for a day to meet with World Team people. I met some great people, and had a meeting with the President of MEBSH, the church organization for the south of Haiti that most of the missionaries do some work with (all of the sister churches are MEBSH churches). He was a kind man, encouraging, yet had worthwhile challenging thoughts he wished to share with me about working in Haiti. When he found out I was from Florida though, he said something along the lines of, "Well the same sun shines on both Florida and Haiti," and I think he is somewhat right about saying the heat is the same, but not comparing Jax to down there...
I had the opportunity to meet with several long term missionaries who have been in Haiti a while, and they were all ever so helpful. I got to ask lots of practical questions, and got really good answers. (And if you know me well, you know that meant more than anything else!) I got a lot of information that I really needed in order to logistically plan to move to Haiti. I also got to hang out at the school with the other teachers, and we were able to brainstorm ideas and otherwise talk shop. I really enjoyed that time with them, and that we were able to be productive, too.
Everyone I met was so welcoming, and I really felt at home. I did get to see Cite Lumiere (the mission center in Les Cayes, where I will be living) as it is more from the insider's view. I was able to begin to discern where I will run into challenges acclimating culturally, which was very interesting for me. But I look forward to the challenge and making the adjustments that must come.

Thank you all, as always, for praying. Once we returned home, one of our team members, Anna, contracted Malaria, but she is doing much better now, thanks to God. The evidence of your prayers was there as we went through the trip.

For this update, here are some current prayer requests and praises:
Praises:
Good productive time in Haiti! (I can't say it enough!)
Jesus has been teaching me a lot lately, and I have been listening. It has been hard, but awesome.
I got a sitting job to supplement Kumon for the summer, and we get along very well.
Finances have been manageable since my return. (That was a huge prayer request before...)

Prayer Requests:
I am trying to discern still whether to seek a teaching job, or just full time office work, for this time before Haiti. There are a lot of factors involved in that, so just pray for wisdom and direction for me in figuring that out.
Please also pray for my living situation. My current place was agreed upon only through August, so I may be looking for new accomodations soon. Pray that I can get some good notice, and that God would work that out if I do have to find a place to live.
Pray for focus and prioritization. There are a lot of little things that I need to do, but they add up and tend to be overwhelming.
Pray for spiritual protection. I have had to deal with a variety of very interesting stuff lately. It has not all been inherently bad, but the timing was strategic enough to make me question whether it was the enemy trying to shake things up. And there have been other things (like my car the day we got back, really?) that were just, come on?! (That one really didn't get to me more than just being annoying, but you get the point.)
Lastly, please just pray that I would be able to work toward all of this, while also being present in serving where I am right now. It is very easy to get sucked into one or the other, and I need to be able to be faithful where I am now, while working toward this other future reality.

Again, again, again, thank you soooooooo much for praying!!!!!! Merci, merci, merci!!!!!!
Please let me know anything that I can be praying for you about. I would be honored to do it!

No comments: